Saturday, March 19, 2011

The Gift


5.38p.m - 12.02a.m. How many hours of them? Well, that was the duration I finished reading this novel, The Gift by Cecilia Ahern. It was not the total duration before adding to another one hour I spent reading the first 50 pages yesterday.

Surprisingly, it was my second attempt of reading the novel. The first was few months ago, which I gave up on the tenth page. As the nature of Cecilia Ahern’s writing style, the tardiness just challenged my not-so-much reading patience. I put on the second attempt considering my language capability that has gotten rusty. Okay, it was because of the comment thrown by the lecturer after my group presentation. I know it was not me did the major mistakes or errors, but I somehow felt the trace of it. The painful comment has actually has a blessing in disguise effect.

For novels’ diehard fans, Ahern’s especially, they sure have read the story. It used to cost a bomb during its early publication, being wrapped in an exclusive thick cover and golden reddish ribbon defined the elevated charge. But it’s never mind as it received fairly some bombs in return lol.

For me, I’m not yet could be considered a real reader. The total number of novels I read few years back could actually be counted by fingers, hand fingers. Plus, I only read them with the concern of brushing up my language proficiency. The pleasure of reading followed by then.

For the time being, I tried Ahern’s and Kinsella’s most. I prefer their writing because of the leisure fairytale theme. Yes I am a typical girl with slightly higher sensitivity and emotions than men possessed. But mind you, I showed less emotions than most men do. I have them but I just do not display them simply.

Alright, let’s put some review on The Gift. Personally I give it 4 out of 5 stars. It loses 1 star for its tardiness writing. Some people call it artistic, I call it tardy. I skipped the paragraphs which she was actually trying to describe an avenue. An avenue during Christmas Eve or something. She put too much effort on that I guess. That should be the reason I always prefer Kinsella’s.

But, really, it was a gift. A gift in the form of life lesson. I learnt a lot from it. I even shed some tears upon reading the scenes’ Lou’s cleaning Bud’s poo and when he spoke to Lucy how to behave when he is not around and some time during he was displaying love to his wife. Tacing okayyy.

So, people, don’t wait any longer. Go grab The Gift from the nearest bookshops. Go borrow The Gift from your novel lover’s friends. Like I did. Come on, I You shall not be reading a RM79.90 novel more than once right? So don’t waste money, love. Let it go for charity instead. Both you and the friend you borrowed the novel from dapat pahala.

No comments:

Post a Comment